Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Ice

My last two posts were about water.  First water in its smallest form visible to the human eye water drops.  Second running water the type we see most commonly around us in streams rivers lakes and oceans.  So I've decided to continue on the water theme for one more post and show water in its third form, when it is frozen.  The following series of photos were all taken on the same morning after we had a freezing rain.  The weather conditions the night before were somewhat unique.  I am not a meteorologist but from what what I can assume the temperature in the clouds must have been higher than that on the ground.  But it was extremely cold on ground level so water hit the ground in liquid form then began to freeze almost instantly.  This produced some very interesting patterns in the ice and dramatic looking icicles.

As usual I played around with the color in all of these photos.  My style in Photoshop is to not edit the original image in any way besides cropping, changing colors, sharpness, and blacks.  This way everything you see in one of my photos is actually there I simply edited the feel of the photo to bring out certain bits I thought were interesting.  These three pictures were altered to change their base color one to red and one to blue and one to green.




While I was playing around with the colors I found a combination that seemed to work very well bringing up the blacks and contrast and letting a hint of green and blue show through.



One handy thing you always have in your back pocket as a photographer is to simply remove all color from a picture this can give it an old timey classy feel.

You can also use the sky as a blank background in order to draw more attention to your subject.  As you can see in these next three photos.


No comments:

Post a Comment